Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Exploratory missions

I have a correction to make; Tokyo is not small.

Really, I should have known that I was just missing something. Near the hotel is a small warren of criss-crossing streets. It is an area filled with small outlet stores, restaurants, and bars. Emphasis lies on “small.”

It was there that I explored in my first night. If you're in that area, it seems as if there is no other place to shop because everything else around the area is a hotel, an office building, or a train station. It took someone with a better idea of the area than I to explore beyond these boundaries.

Last night a group of JETs who are going to Okayama (including myself) got together after the reception ended at 8 PM. We had decided earlier in the day that we would try to see Tokyo. Unfortunately, we were exhausted, so we decided on just doing a walk-about. First we ended up in that same small area that I had been in the night before. We spent perhaps an hour in a bar drinking a beer whose name I have utterly forgotten. I'm not quite convinced I ever actually knew it.

After we had each downed our share of that glorious golden liquid, it became the common consensus that we were too tired to proceed with our exploratory mission. So we left the bar. Not three steps had been taken, though, before an English lad in our group rallied our spirits. We would explore just a little bit. Not too far, of course. We were tired, after all. Still, that was too much for two of our number who caved in and went back to the hotel and bed.

The six of us that remained set off for a fabled nearby park. If we just walked around the train station (largest in Tokyo), it would be right there. It wasn't. But if we kept going, it would be just around the corner, we were certain. It wasn't there either. There was a cool ramen stop with wooden beams and old-style signs, though. We decided it would be better to just wander.

Our wandering shortly took us to a place called Kabuki-cho. This is essentially the red-light district. It is tucked off the side of a very busy part of Shinjuku that reminds me intensely of Times Square in New York City. Lights everywhere, massive buildings covered in advertisements, vast streets and vaster crowds. Kabuki-cho, on the other hand, is more warren-like. In structure, it is quite similar to the warrens near our hotel. The content, of course, is a bit different.

Initially it seemed to just be another shopping and eating district. Then someone pointed out a massage parlor. And then we found the main thoroughfare came to an end and all that was left to explore were the side streets. A man approached us asking if we were looking for a bar and we shooed him away like a pesky little flea. Didn't he know we were only there to gawk? We settled on a side street and proceeded.

It was immediately apparent that we had made the right choice. A large selection of brothels lined each side of our little alleyway. While I couldn't actually read the characters, the little pink hearts and photos of topless women and discretely placed shades gave it away. And as if that wasn't clear enough, a squirrely Japanese man approached us with a clear proposition: “Sex? Sex? Sex? Sex?”

While sex is indeed desirable thing, we decided that tonight we were not in the market. Our side street came to an end and our sleepiness decided that was an appropriate time to make its triumphant return. On our way back to the hotel we discovered more karaoke bars, massage parlors, and a neko-cafe. The British lad asked about the tale of Momotaro and I told it for him. By 10:30 I was in my room and in bed. I think I lasted about a minute before I was asleep.

This morning I woke up again at 6. Breakfast was a bit better than the previous day; there were no french fries this time. Actually, I cannot complain. There was bacon and sausage, eggs and quiche. And best of all, there was fruit. Bowls and bowls of fruit. If you know anything about Japan, you may be aware of the horrifically inflated price of fruit, especially of melon. It literally costs, at minimum, about $150 for a melon. So naturally, I filled my plate with the stuff. Who knows when I'll see it again?

Today is another grey day filled with conference room presentations. I wish I had a day to explore the city a bit, but I know that's not the purpose for which I came here. That's okay, I'll almost certainly come back another time. And perhaps tonight I'll explore even further.

Mata ne.

~Jeffles

No comments:

Post a Comment